- Soul prone to evil - nafs al-amaara bisoo’ [Example from Surah Yusuf 12:22-28, when the Egyptian Minister’s wife tries to seduce Yusuf]
- Self-reproaching soul – nafs al-lawaama [Example from Surah Qiyamah 75:2 ‘Nay I swear by the accusing soul’ – The self-reproaching soul is one that blames when it does good as well as bad.
- Righteous soul – nafs al-mu’mainna [Example from Surah al-Fajr 89:27, the Righteous Soul is the soul at peace]
Ways to Cure the diseased Soul:
- Ignore it!
- Dislike it! – compare to the bounties of Allah give to you and how you are repaying Allah swt back.
- Be sceptic about your soul – How do you know that Allah has accepted my ibaadah
- Trick your soul – start off little by little and gradually increase your level of action. Ie Qiyaaml al layl, start by praying 2 raka’ each night, then once the habit is made of getting up, increase it to 4, gradually though.
‘So whoever does good equal to the weight of an atom [or small ant] shall see it. And whosoever does evil equal to the weight of an atom [or a small ant] shall see it.’ [surah az-zalzalah: 7-8]
The Right of Allah upon the servant in every act of obedience consists of six matters:
- Sincerity in the action [for the sake of Allah]
- Pure devotion to Allah in it
- Following and imitating the Messenger [pbuh] in it
- Seeing and observing excellence in it
- Seeing Allah’s Benevolence in it
- Seeing one’s shortcomings [in performing this action] after all this
Your Enemy – firstly is the soul = the nafs, then the shaytaan who’s ultimate goal is for us to commit shirk! Allah mentions in the Qur’an 13 times, that the Shaytaan plays with the soul. He leads you astray by beautifying haram things for you, and promises you poverty and hardship, thus decreasing your trust in Allah swt. Allah is the provider, the sustainer! Do not follow the footsteps of Shaytaan...
Remember, the correct intention does not purify the wrong action, and the wrong intention corrupts the good action!!!!!
- Umar ibn al-Khattab said, “Call your souls to account before you are called to account and weigh your souls [ie your actions] before you are weighed for it will make the accountability easier for you tomorrow if you call your selves to account today.” [Ahmad]
“O ye who believe! Observe your duty to Allah. And let every person look to what he has sent forth for the morrow, and fear Allah. Verily, Alllah is All-Aware of what you do.” [al-Hashr: 18]